Yes, that is a bowl of Hunger Buster Beef and Mac in the loving hands of my Tall & Handsome. While this might not look like much to you, to him it’s a bowl of heaven. Why? One word – pasta.
To me, it reminds me of down-home, old time Southern cooking – the kind of thing your mom made when you were a kid. It’s also like homemade hamburger helper without the preservatives. The theme lately has been comfort food -maybe because of the artic cold we’ve been having, the flus season or just the fact that comfort food offers just that – comfort and memories. It certainly does my T & H.
This can be a one dish meal, but I like to serve it with my Slow Cooker Creamy Jalapeno Corn. Both dishes are about as easy to prepare as you would want. Well, a little more effort than just boiling water, but worth the comfort in the long run.
Hunger Buster Beef and Mac
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large or 2 small sweet onions, peeled cut in half and then thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 – 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 16 ounce bag or box elbow macaroni, cooked
- Prepare macaroni according to directions on the bag or box.
- While the maracroni is cooking, in a non-stick stockpot on medium high brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.
- When beef is no longer pink, add the seasonings (salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and Worcestershire Sauce).
- Add the 2 cans of tomatoes and the tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- When macaroni is done, add to beef mixture. Stir to combine.