Spicy Corn Soup,
I ran across this recipe a week or so ago and have been waiting to try it. I have to “own up” to being a soup fanatic, well particularly in the winter and cool months. What can be better than a nice hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s night or chilly afternoon?
This soup looked so easy and yummy…and healthy to boot! How could it go wrong?! I was right, it is so yummy!
There is a baked tortilla chip recipe to go along, but it didn’t quite turn out the way I wanted it to, so, I’ll be playing with that a little more and tweaking it some. The taste is great for the soup and chips! Look for the chips in the future…
Spicy Corn Soup
1 – 16 oz package of frozen corn, thawed and divided
2 cups milk, divided (I used 2% milk)
¼ cup salsa
1 cup chopped onion (this is about 1 medium onion)
1 tablespoon water
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese for top of soup
Low fat sour cream for top of soup
1. Place 1 cup of corn and 1 ½ cups of the milk into a pot, bring mixture to a boil on medium heat. Really watch the milk at this step because if the heat is too high and you don’t watch it might scorch on the bottom and make a brown film on the bottom of the pan. Just be sure to stir to keep the milk from scorching or burning.
2. Combine the onion and 1 tbsp of water in a bowl, cover and microwave for 1 minute
3. Place the remaining corn and ½ cup of the milk in a blender and process until smooth. (I used out stick blender or immersion blender and it worked great!)
4. Add pureed mixture to the corn mixture in the pot.
5. Stir in the salsa, onions, and salt- cook for 12 minutes over medium heat.
6. Pour into bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Served with seasoned lime tortilla chips.
© 2012 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.