It’s no secret Tall & Handsome loves pasta and noodles. So, a few weeks ago when he accompanied me to a doctor’s appointment I asked him afterwards if he’d like visit one of his favorite eateries. It’s a pasta and noodle joint and it’s located on the same side of town as my doctor. As a matter of fact it’s the only one in town.
The menu item he tends to order the most is a southwestern pasta. I have to admit it’s pretty tasty. I got to thinking what a shame he has it only when we go to that eatery.
There had to been a remedy. And, of course there was! I’d develop my own recipe. I combined two of T & H’s food loves – pasta and green chilies with lean chicken to produce a mouthwatering meal.
All modesty aside, I’ll even admit it turned out awesome. T & H said I outdid myself this time. I’ll take that as a rave review. It’s absolutely not hard to prepare and it makes a lot. While I was preparing the pasta portion, T & H grilled the chicken breasts. You can grill yours on an indoor grill or prepare them in the oven if you don’t have a grill.
This is a tasty one pan meal and will be a crowd pleaser for you.
Penne Pasta in Green Chile Sauce with Grilled Smoky Mesquite Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 tablesoons Weber’s Smoky Mesquite rub
One 16 ounce box penne pasta, cooked according to directions and drained
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and chopped
1 sweet red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin oil
One 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
Two 4 ounce cans chopped green chilies, DO NOT DRAIN
1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
1 – 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
Pinch of red pepper flakes
8 ounces of low fat cream cheese, at room temp to soften
1/2 cup half and half, divided
1 – 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. About an hour before grilling apply the rub on each side of each of the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Allow to set until ready to grill.
2. Grill on direct medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until when a meat thermometer inserted into the chicken breast reaches 165 degrees. Turn once during grilling.
3. Meanwhile, prepare pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
4. In a large skillet on medium heat begin to heat butter. Add olive oil and stir to combine butter with olive oil.
5. Add chopped onion, minced garlic and the chopped jalapeno to the skillet and saute until onions are tender. Do not allow to burn.
6. Next, add the drained tomatoes, chopped green chilies, chopped roasted red bell peppers, chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
7. In a small bowl slightly soften cream cheese and then temper your cream cheese by slowly adding small amounts of hot liquid from the skillet at little at a time. Your mixture should begin to look creamy and more liquid or viscous. Add 4 tablespoons of half and half to the cream cheese mixture, stir.
8. Add cream cheese mixture to the onion – tomato mixture in the skillet. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of half and half to the skillet. Stir sauce and allow to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Add chicken that has been grilled, sliced and then each slice cut in half to the sauce. Stir.
10. Add drained pasta to the skillet and gently combine to make sure the pasta is coated.
11. Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese and combine until cheese melts.
© 2017 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved