The buzz words in eating nowadays are words like “clean eating”, “organic” and plethora of other words that are suppose to convince us a particular way of eating is the best. I’ve always been of the school of thought that common sense, moderation, knowledge, education and avoiding junk science and fad eating will do right by us.
So when we hear the word “granola” may of us hearken back to our earliest memories of granola when it tasted like horse food – or maybe chicken feed – or T & H’s favorite, cardboard and sawdust.
Oh, baby, how times have changed! We can have good taste AND good for you ingredients now.
Tall & Handsome and I had been trying some store bought granola, but then we had one of those “eureka” moments – why not try our hand at making our own? We can control what goes into it and it has to be more economical. So, today was the day to try our hand.
The results were knock-your-socks-off good. Have a bowl with milk or a handful as a snack, you won’t be sorry.
3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup cashews
1 cup shredded sweet coconut
6 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon pure vanilla flavoring
1 cup combined dried blueberries, dried cherries and craisins
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
- In a smaller bowl combine the honey, vegetable oil, melted butter, salt and vanilla flavoring. Mix well to combine – use a whisk if necessary.
- When the honey mixture is combined pour over the oat mixture and mix well until ingredients are evenly coated.
- Pour the granola onto 2 cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper.
- Place in oven and cook for at least 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. If needed cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl or container that has a lid and stir in the dried fruit. Keep in air tight container.
© 2016 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.