For years Tall & Handsome has been extolling the wonders of Shepherd’s Pie.
I on the other hand – not so much. I had never delved into the cuisine that conjured up visions of chopped up whatever, eaten while setting amidst a herd of sheep while dressed like a renegade shepherd from the town nativity.
The dots just weren’t connecting no matter how much T & H explained the concept or told me how positively delicious it was.
But, I knew he was really feeling nostalgic about Shepherd’s Pie so I decided to do a little digging around and research. I was encouraged to find Shepherd’s Pie is something I could easily prepare in the slow cooker. With a little abracadabra I was able to whip up a decent Shepherd’s Pie done Bev’s way.
It’s easy to make and is adaptable to the ingredients you have on hand. When you’re finished you’ve got a fantastic one dish meal for the family.
A word about the mashed potatoes: If you don’t have any leftover on had, whip up some instant. I have a tip for instant potatoes. When I make mine I use low fat sour cream in them and people rave over them. They can’t tell the difference between made from scratch mashed potatoes and my instant potatoes. I used them in this dish. You can use you favorite.
Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie
1 pound lean ground beef
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, slightly thawed
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Lawry’s season salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, do not drain
4 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup grated cheddar
- Brown the ground beef before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Add the browned meat, mixed vegetables, onion, garlic, season salt, black pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, and can of tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture and spread the mashed potatoes over the beef to seal.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours; on low 4 to 6 hours until pie is bubbly and browned. Cooking times will vary according to your slow cooker.
- Just before serving sprinkle the grated cheese over the mashed potatoes and let set until cheese melts.
© 2016 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.