Let’s set the stage for this. In your mind play a good Texas two step. Better yet, put on the Gatlin Brothers, The Lady Takes the Cowboy Every time. Now, you have the perfect setting for today’s recipe – and if a recipe could taste like a song, that’s the song I’d pick for today’s recipe. Upbeat, happy and too good to resist.
Not only is the taste awesome, but it’s so easy to make, and is another one dish meal.
I called this South by Southwest Casserole because there a lot of ingredients I’d commonly used as a Southern gal, but as a Southern gal married to a native New Mexican I’ve thrown in those favorite Southwestern ingredients.
You assemble this dish in a 13 x 9 baking dish, cover it and refrigerate if overnight and can pop it in the oven in the morning or assemble it in the morning, pop it in the fridge and then bake it later in the day for supper. It will be good any time of the day you serve it. And, it would hit the spot for holidays or potlucks.
The Cowboy Takes the South by Southwestern Casserole Every Time
1 bag frozen potatoes O’brien
1 – 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
12 heirloom cherry tomatoes (or regular cherry tomatoes), quartered; about 1-1/4 cups
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
4 green onions chopped
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese or for blend Mexican cheese
4 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with baking spray.
- Arrange the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Begin layering the other ingredients over the potatoes: green chilies, chopped sweet onion, chopped green onion, cherry tomatoes, ham and grated cheese.
- Next, combine well beaten eggs with the half and half, ground black pepper, cumin and chili powder. Combine well and pour over the casserole ingredients in the 13 x 9 pan.
- Cover and refrigerate over night if baking if the morning or at least six hours if baking later in the day.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until set. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
© 2016 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.