I’m a big fan of Chicken Curry – especially Thai Curry. I first fell in love with it at a little place in the Birmingham area called Thai Gardens. When Tall & Handsome’s work carried us out of state for a few years we were fortunate to find Thai restaurants that served my favorite wherever we lived. When we came back home I was disappointed to learn Thai Gardens was no longer where I had left them.
Today’s recipe is my salute to all those great Thai curries I’ve enjoyed. It’s also in keeping with another trend I’ve been taking advantage of – slow cooker cooking. I will tell you this: today’s recipe is not a hot Thai curry. You can make it with curry powder instead of a paste although I do have some recipes that call for pastes; and, I adapted it from a recipe I saw in a Taste of Home cookbook to make it a little more “Thai”- like and healthy. I also use granulated palm sugar. Palm Sugar is a classic Thai ingredient and is reportedly lower on the glycemic index.
Chicken Curry with Rice
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut in large cubes
2 cups baby carrots
1 onion, cut in eights
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into large chunks
1 can lite unsweetened coconut milk
4 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 low sodium chicken bouillon cube, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated palm sugar
Peanuts or cashews for garnish
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in the bottom on the slow cooker.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and brown the chicken breast pieces until brown on all sides. Add browned chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mix together: the coconut milk, curry powder, minced garlic, crushed bouillon cube, salt, pepper and palm sugar. Mix well and pour over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours.
- Serve over hot white or brown rice and garnish with crush peanuts or cashew.
*If extra liquid is needed during cooking you can add up to 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
Tagged: Asian Cooking, Carrots, Chicken, Coconut Milk, Cooking, Curry, Easy Cooking, Food, Garlic, One Dish Meals, Palm Sugar, Potatoes, Recipes, Rice, Slow Cooker Cooking, Tall & Handsome, Vegetables