Well, the New Year has started so, Happy New year everyone! 2014 and 2015 turned out to be unusual years for us with bumps in the roads we didn’t see. At the end of 2015 we both caught a major bug that put my dad in the hospital and left us flat of our backs for some time! That’s why I’ve been a little MIA…
So moving on to 2016!
When it’s cold and I’m sick and need comfort food I always want something nice and hot like soup or chowder. After that rash of warm weather, flooding and tornadoes during the holidays it got really cold, fast. My aching bones were screaming for “piping, hot soup”.
So, I schlepped to the kitchen, grabbed one of my recipe binders, schlepped back to bed and found exactly what I needed – Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
All you need to do to make this soup is open a few cans, combine, warm, simmer and presto. It does call for chicken and you have some options to keep it easy and fast:
· Use the chicken breast of a rotisserie chicken. I try to keep some chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken in the freezer just for recipes like this.
· For this particular pot of soup T & H grilled 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts that had been lightly rubbed with a Chili Lime Dry Rub (from Williams Sonoma) for a little extra flavor. He grilled them in advance and when I needed then, I grabbed them and chopped them for the soup.
· Prepackaged, precooked southwestern chicken breast strips – look in the meat section at your grocery market.
· In a big push you could sub a 10 – 12 ounce can of boneless chicken breast, but this would be my last option.
Okay, for the unbelievably easy – like minutes ready – recipe and directions see below.
T & H rating? 2 thumbs up! anything with green chilies in it wins his heart. He actually loved it.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 14.5 ounce can low sodium chicken broth
An additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth, as needed
1 14.5 ounce can Mexican style or garlic and onion diced tomatoes, undrained (not Rotel)
1 ounce can mild green chiles, undrained
1 14 – 16 ounce can corn, drained
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
Chicken breast, chopped – I used 2 grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast rubbed with Williams Sonoma Chili Lime dry rub – See above for additional ideas for fast, easy chicken
Corn tortilla chips, crumbled
Optional: Garnish with grated cheese and low fat sour cream, slice avocado.
1. In a Dutch oven bring the can of low sodium chicken broth, tomatoes and green chilies to a boil.
2. Stir in the drained corn and reduce heat to simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Next, add tomato sauce, chopped chicken and use extra chicken broth to stir in to make soup a good consistency.
4. Simmer until all ingredients are heated through – about 3 minutes or so.
5. Crumble some corn tortilla chips into the bottom of soup bowls. Ladle soup over the crumbled chips. Garnish as desired with grated cheese and/or low fat sour cream
© 2016 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.