I’ve finally dug myself out from underneath school, classes, finals, health crises and life in general – and just in time for my favorite time of the year. Autumn! This is the time of the year when cooking livens up and offers some of the best, healthiest and heartiest. We’ve already had our first pot of Posole.
This weekend I made a slow cooker full of an easy chowder that is healthy, hearty and delicious. I adapted it from a recipe I saw some time ago and thought I’d make it a little more hearty for our taste and switched up the herbs to our liking, plus kicked up the health factor just a tad.
All you need for this wonderful chowder is:
- some beautiful red potatoes
- frozen sweet corn (we get our at the local farmer’s market, Williams Orchard)
- herbs and seasoning
- a small sweet onion
- minced garlic
- low sodium chicken broth and some half and half
So, let’s get started.
Potato & Corn Chowder for the Slow Cooker
24 – 32 oz. red potatoes, cut into small cubes (not too small)
16 ounces frozen sweet corn
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
5 – 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
kosher and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup half and half
1. Place in slow cooker: cubed potatoes, frozen corn, chopped onion and minced garlic. Toss. Add all purpose flour and toss to coat.
2. Stir in chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, marjoram, fresh rosemary and salt and pepper.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 – 8 hour or on high heat for 3 –4 hour or until potatoes are tender.
4. Serve immediately.
Serve with corn bread, croissants, or multigrain tortillas.
© 2015 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.