This is a great time of the year for vegetables. We start seeing more fresh veggies in seasons and that makes me happy.
Today’s recipe should be one of my Throwback Thursday recipes. I have literally been making the wonderful side dish for decades. (Side dish may be a misnomer. A big bowl makes a good light meal.) I can’t say where I first saw this recipe, it’s been this long. I do recall making a few little changes like adding garlic and basil and using olive oil.
Let’s looks at some of the facts about the ingredients.
- has anti-oxidant qualities and is good for weight reduction and cholesterol
- contains carotenes and luteins which help rid the body of free radicals
- source of folates which are important for cell division and DNA processes; potassium which is heart healthy – it reduces blood pressure and heart rate; good source of vitamin C; and contain vitamin B complex
- good source of antioxidants, fiber, minerals and vitamins; many antioxidants specifically fight cancer
- lycopene protects against ultraviolet rays and guards against skin cancer
- zea-xanthin protects against macular degeneration
- also a source for vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, B-complex
We tend to think “good for you food” tastes like horse food. I can honestly say this dish is bursting with tasty Mediterranean flavor.
Stewed Zucchini and Tomatoes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/4 in. wedges
1 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes (Italian style is really good to use)
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1. Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
2. Stir in zucchini and cook, covered over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, kosher salt, pepper, and basil.
4. Continue cooking over medium heat until heated through. Serve immediately.
© 2015 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.