May was a super busy month in our house. It’s like Spring blew up and all of a sudden it’s Summer and there is exponentially more to do.
We just had a wonderful visit from our “adopted” son and I think we all were worn out by trying to pack as much into the visit as possible, which included a trip to the Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic. And, what’s Memorial Day weekend without a couple of cookouts?
Toward the end of the week I was looking for a tasty, easy, one dish meal. Anytime I can come up with southwestern, Tex-Mex or Mexican food, well, then I’ve scored points with my Tall & Handsome.
Today’s recipe fits that bill to a “T”. I whipped this up keeping his beloved New Mexico and green chilies in mind. (The fact we attended a hot air balloon event might have been an influencing factor, too, since he use to participate in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta every October and squired me there when we were “courting”.)
On a side note, we decided that corn chips would be a good companion with this dish and a little low-fat sour cream is great, too!
New Mexico Style Dirty Rice
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 cup low grain rice
1 – 16 ounce jar salsa
1 – 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1 – 15 ounce can seasoned black beans, undrained
1 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
2 – 3 dash Jalapeno Tabasco
1. Brown meat with the onion, garlic and jalapeno in a preheated skillet on medium high heat. Brown until meat is no longer pink, vegetables are tender and juices are reduced. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Stir in low sodium beef broth and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in salsa, chopped green chilies, black beans and Jalapeno Tabasco sauce. Cover and continue cooking for about another 7 to 8 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. Remove cover and sprinkle with the cheese. Recover and continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 3 or 4 minutes.
5. Serve with corn chips and low fat sour cream.
© 2013 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.