I like cabbage…no, really I do, even though I know it’s suppose to be good for you. And, I like stuffed cabbage rolls. But, what I don’t like is trying to make stuffed cabbage rolls. For me it’s a tedious job that’s about as much fun as a root canal without anesthetic.
So, a recipe with the taste of stuffed cabbage and the ease of hamburgers and has been another food quest. I have a recipe that I’ve been making a few years, but I saw a recipe the other day that gave me some inspiration. Although I found it lacking, there was some potential to compel me to deconstruct those cabbage rolls.
So, I set about deconstructing stuffed cabbage rolls…today’s recipe is the result.
A great feature about this dish is that it’s a meal in one pan…protein (meat), grain (rice) and vegetable (tomatoes, onions, garlic and cabbage).
Tall & Handsome gave his thumbs up and also informed me I now have a great dish to carry for pot luck.
Win – win…a little deconstructing and I ended up with a two-fer…
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls – Deconstructed
1 – 1/4 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 small head cabbage, chopped
2 – 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth (I usually have low sodium chicken broth on hand…make sure you use low sodium)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Lawry’s season salt
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Brown meat along with onion and garlic on medium heat until meat is brown and no longer pink.
2. Add the chopped cabbage, two cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, low-sodium chicken (or beef) broth, pepper, season salt, kosher salt and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
4. Meanwhile cook the brown rice. (Remember brown rice take longer to cook than white rice. You can also use Success brown rice in a pinch.)
5. When beef – cabbage mixture to done, stir in the 2 cups of brown rice.
© 2013 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.