Are you looking for an easy cake recipe that delivers great results? A recipe for pot lucks and unexpected company? Well, then today’s recipe is for you!
I’ve been making this cake for years…actually, I think I’ve been making this cake longer than my child has been on this planet! Yeah, that many years The ironic thing is I had never prepared today’s cake recipe for Tall & Handsome. Well, he had his first chance the other night when I made the cake to carry to the pot luck for our small group from church.
T & H’s request is that it won’t be the last time he sees the cake around our house…so, I consider that a resounding “Yay” vote…
The cake is so easy to make. It’s similar to a dump cake…in other words, you just dump all the ingredients in, mix and cook.
It’s a moist cake and it stays moist. The surprise is the crunchy topping!
I promise, this is one Ugly Duckling that is a swan in disguise…
Ugly Duckling Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 – 16 ounce can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup, DO NOT DRAIN THE LIQUID
1 cup coconut
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup packed light brown sugar
For the topping:
½ cup butter
½ cup white sugar
½ cup coconut
½ cup skim evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
2. In a mixing bowl add the cake mix, fruit cocktail, 1 cup of coconut and the eggs.
3. Combine the ingredients and then mix on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the ½ cup packed brown sugar on the top of the cake batter.
5. Place in oven and bake 45 minutes.
6. While cake is cooking, prepare the topping by bring to boil the butter, sugar and evaporated milk. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ½ cup of coconut.
7. Spoon the topping over warm cake.
© 2013 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.