Fresh Apple Cake
Fresh apple is without a doubt one of my most favorite cakes. The first one I ever had my mom made years ago and if memory serves me the recipe she used came from an old Wesson oil cookbook. If that book is still around is beyond me. I do know some years I have requested a fresh apple cake for my birthday…I like it that much. I’m not one for super rich cakes and this one hits the spot.
This recipe is one I have hobble together from some of the various recipes I’ve tried over the years. To me it’s the best of the best, and yes, it is my own “Bevized” version. I’ve always made my fresh apple cake and served it “virgin-style”. Meaning I usually don’t make and apply the glaze most recipes include. Well, today I did. Mind you, in my opinion (and Tall & Handsome agreed) there just seemed to be an abundance of glaze in the recipe that would make the cake too “gooey”. I decided to drizzle a little over the top to give it a try. I’ve given you pictures of the cake before and after. I can promise you, the cake is quite excellent without it! (You could also increase the oil by ¼ cup, but I like to use the amount in this recipe for the reduced fat and calories.)
The glaze is just…well, icing on the cake J
Today for the cake I used Arkansas Black apples we purchased a William’s Orchard. We’ve fallen in love with this little apple and have used them for our Crock Pot Apple Butter and enjoy snacking on them.
Fresh Apple Cake
2 cups sugar
1 ¼ cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla flavoring
2 ½ cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a tube pan.
2. Beat eggs with a whisk. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well. Add oil gradually and beat well until creamy.
3. Combine cinnamon and flour. Gradually add to the egg, sugar and oil mixture. Make sure dry ingredients are blended well. This batter will be stiff.
4. Fold in apples and pecans.
5. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes. Cool in pan. If desired glaze while cake is warm. (I only used about half of the glaze that was made and used the rest to drizzle over individual pieces if desired.)
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup half and half
1. Combine ingredients in small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Drizzle over warm cake.
Fresh Apple Cake Cooling
Fresh Apple Cake before glaze
Fresh Apple Cake with glaze
© 2011 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.